Sunday, March 3, 2013

Arrival and Orientation

Getting to Chile was a mess, but I am finally here and settled. I left at about 7:30 am from PDX to go to LAX full of anxiety and nerves as I was about to set off into a new adventure. Melissa and her mom came to get me a little after I arrived at the airport to go get some lunch, and while I was waiting I swear I saw some celebrities because it was Oscar sunday! And low and behold I saw the dance teacher that is the start of dance moms! She loaded her stuff into a van right in front of where I was waiting! Once Melissa came we decided to check in our bags so that we did no have to worry about them when we went out to eat. We were going to fly from LA to Mexico City and then on to Santiago. For some reason they would not check my bags all of the way through, so I had to go get my bags and re-checkin  in Mexico City. Little did I know, but Orbitz and AeroMexico messed up my flight schedule and planned on making me take a flight a whole day later, so I would be late for my orientation. This was not going to happen, so I had to pay the same price for my whole ticket just to go on the plane to Santiago. Don't worry my parents were able to get them to give me a refund!

Once we got to Mexico City we had almost five hours to kill, so we first dealt with my flight fiasco and then we went and got subway, which was actually really good :) Then we loaded the plane to learn that one of our pilots could not make it and so we were delayed another four hours (from 2:00am to 6:00am). Melissa was great and let me sleep, and once we finally got on the plane for the eight hour flight we had emergency row seats and slept almost the whole time. Total flight time was about 13-14 hours. On the plane we got to meet a really cute Chilean family that told us all about where to go and gave us their contact information in case we wanted to visit! My spanish feels a bit rusty but it went great!

We arrived in Santiago at like 6:00pm local time and it felt extremely hot! Customs was easy and the people were nice. Chilean spanish is very fast and they tend to shorten their words when they speak. I am going to have to get used to that! Melissa and I then took a cab to my house where we go to meet my wonderful family that consists of a mom and dad and three little kids, ages 9 years, 6 years, and 3 months!

Melissa was with me when I met my family because the cab would not drive her into Viña because there is a huge international music festival happening, luckily her host brother was able to pick her up!

To get to my house from the street there is a long set of stairs that lead to the house which is very much Valparaíso. It is small and colorful and is attached to the house of the grandparent and in the back there is a third house that is owned by one of the brothers. They all share a patio that has an amazing view of the coast line and the city. It is breathtaking how beautiful it is right now here. The first night was extremely long so I went to bed early so that I could get up for orientation the next morning.

Orientation lasted from tuesday to thursday and was somewhat organized. We got general information about the school, tours of the main buildings, had both oral and written spanish tests, and I got to get to know a good group of friends! The only thing that stinks about going to school here is that the different schools within the university are all spread out among the two cities and you have to figure out how to get to all of them. I found out that there is a bus that stops right in front of my house that can take me straight to my school and to Viña, which is where almost all the other students live! Here is a picture of the main building of my school: Casa central


I also had to plan out my schedule. Based on our oral and written tests they placed us in levels in which we could take classes. Mine are:

  1. Historia urbana e historia regional de Valparaiso (urban and regional history of Valparaiso)
  2. Historia de america latina en el siglo XX (history of latin america in the twentieth century)
  3. Poesia chilena del siglo XX: Neruda...(Chilean poetry of the twentieth century)
  4. Español comunicacional y cultura chilena avanzado (communicational spanish and chilean culture)
  5. Gramatica del español
I think my schedule will be really busy but I am excited because it is in all spanish! We've had days off this week and I've gone to the beach twice and it has been extremely crowded, because it is summer vacation here, but beautiful! On the first day I got a horrible sunburn on my back, woops.

Otherwise everything in great, but I am still getting used to this culture and language. Chileans speak very fast and tend to cut there words short. I think I am already getting better because I have more confidence in my abilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment