Monday, March 4, 2013

First Day/First Tickets bought

Today was my first day of classes here in Chile at PUCV! Luckily today my class was in Valpo, so i did not have to try and wander around Viña to find my classes. I only had one class and it started at 2 pm, so I had all morning to myself since my parents left to Patagonia today. I am taking five classes and only have classes monday through thursday!

This morning I woke up and had breakfast with Loli, whom is the maid that comes everyday throughout the week, and is my lifesaver since my family is gone. She knows exactly what I like to eat and always keeps me well fed. She gave me fresh coffee and tons of food for breakfast! I ended up spending the morning talking with her and the grandma that lives right next door! They are amazing and very helpful. They always make an effort and give great advice! I spent most of the morning unpacking and then having lunch with Loli. She made me a salad with fresh avocado and pasta! Lunch is the largest meal of the day here in Chile, so she made sure to feed me more then enough.

After lunch, I had an hour before class and decided to walk. It took me about 35-40 minutes to walk downhill to the school at a relatively fast pace. I got to the university just in time to see the school bustling with people. I ended up finding other exchange students that had the same class as me and we walked to class. Luckily I found them because it was in a completely different building then I had thought. The professor showed up a little late, which is very Chilean. They have no real since of time. The only class I had today was a grammar class that was only for exchange students. I think it was a good introduction to the school. We spent the entire time introducing ourselves and going through the class schedule. The professor is very interactive, so I am excited to see what the semester holds and what my classes tomorrow are going to be like! :)


AND NOW THE EXCITING PART...


After class I went to Viña with my friends to buy tickets to go to Patagonia for Easter break and we ended up buying them. We are going for eight days, 3/22 till 3/30. I AM SO EXCITED.

Patagonia is in southern Chile and Argentina and is a 3-4 hour plane ride from Santiago (I live 1.5 hours from Santiago). We are flying on a chilean airline "Sky." We plan on staying in hostels and camping in some of the beautiful parts. We are still deciding on plans, but know we are going to go on a penguin tour and to Torres del Paine (see photo below). We decided to go so soon, because at the ed of the trip it will be winter and far to cold to go so far south.

First trip is booked and now it is onto the next one(s).

Flight map from Santiago
Torres del Paine National Park
If you have any tips about what we should do down there, please send me an e-mail @kristen.e.berry@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment