Sunday, April 7, 2013

Patagonia

The biggest experience that I have had is going to Patagonia in Southern Chile for eight days with a great group of friends.

We first went to Punta Arenas which is one of the furthest south cities in all of Chile. It is also extremely beautiful and relaxing. We relaxed there for two days before heading into the park. We got to see the beautiful park and downtown area, as well as the cemetery.









I thought I would start out with just pictures of everything that I experienced and saw.
Punta Arenas





Best hot chocolate in the world! 
Southern most part of Chile

Paintings on the walls 
Cemetery



Torres Del Paine Park
After two days in Punta Arenas we went into the national park for five days of camping. The first day in the park went well, except that we hiked for an hour in the wrong direction on the way to our first camp site. However, we met a great french couple and became good friends. The second day we had a seven hour hike day, and ended with what we call "hell" night because it was very windy and rainy, so much that the water soaked through all of our camping gear, clothing, and sleeping bags. None of us were able to sleep that night. After night two, we ended us separating into two different groups. My group headed back to the refugio (like a hostel) for then night, to try to get warm again and get in a hot shower. The next day we saw glacier grey, which was definitely my favorite part. Hiking to the glacier was pretty much straight up hill, but extremely worth it. I was just glad that I did not have my huge hiking bag with me. I saw my first ever iceberg! The next day we took a 30 minute boat ride, which was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. You can drink all the water in the park right out of the source. They are the most purest blues I have ever seen. It is amazing to see nature like this. The last day was spent at the front of the park in torres del paine, and saw our first evidence of animals: horses, foxes, and llamas. The last day we spent traveling back to Puerto Natales and our hostel.

The views are incredible. 

First Day 







French Valley 



Glacier Grey





I would definitely recommend going here, one of the most beautiful places in the world.

After the trip I watched a documentary called "180 degrees south" that follows a man's journey down south to Patagonia. I would highly recommend it.


"The best journeys turn up questions that you didn’t even know you had in the beginning"

"If you love a place you have a duty to protect it, but to love it you must know it first"

No comments:

Post a Comment